Monday, August 13, 2012

The Leopard Slug

Look at those nasty things was my first reaction. But, then like staring at a train wreck, I found myself in awe of this slimy creature. As my curiosity for the natural world has always been leading me forward to see new things, slugs, although not as striking as others species that inhabit this planet are still cool. What true testament that every living thing feels the need to expand and explore the world, not just us humans. This Slug considered to be native to Europe, was introduced on the east coast of America in 1867. It only took this speedster 30 years to make it to the west coast and is now found in many areas of the world.

As I watched these two slugs start to dance instinct told me something I had never seen before was going to happen. I quickly ran for my camera and returned to see the two slugs’s twisted together dangling from a thread of mucus. I was struggling to watch and take pictures at the same time. I watched them twist around each other, a translucent yet fluorescent object protruded from each of their heads. I was trying to deduce what they were doing and this act gave it away. The slugs were mating. What an amazing thing. Slugs are hermaphrodites so either partner has the ability to produce young. What I was watching was the exchange of DNA. After forty five minutes of being suspended together the sperm is exchanged. The slug that is not attached with the mucus tether simply falls off leaving the other to climb its way back up.

I was fascinated after watching. I had to find out more. Slugs are considered to be pest to gardens and agriculture. This shell less gastropod eats crops faster than they can grow. They also are known to hunt down and eat other slugs. That in its self is fascinating, considering their mock speed of 6 inches per minute. Like most slug species Leopard slugs prefer to live in moist places but can be in many different habitats. The Slugs are mostly nocturnal but can be seen on rainy days as well. Although devastating to crops and not as showy as other animals, slugs are neat. So if you ever see two of these little guys/gals by each other prepare yourself for a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment