The Guernsey Soil & Water Conservation District is seeking applications for the position of Wildlife/Forestry Specialist.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to: Providing education, technical assistance, and field assistance to landowners/operators and units of government, primarily in wildlife and forestry issues. The position also coordinates educational programming in Guernsey county school systems.
Applicants should have Minimum of 2 year degree and/or experience wildlife, forestry, or natural resources management or related field. Candidate should be proficient in Microsoft Office and preferably have experience using ArcGIS software. Salary range from $22,880 - $29,120 (plus benefits) commensurate on degree and experience.
RESUME AND COVER LETTER MUST BE RECEIVED BY 4:00 P.M. ON AUGUST 9, 2013
Guernsey Soil & Water Conservation District
9711 East Pike, Cambridge, OH 43725
Telephone: 740-432-5624 Fax: 740-432-2833
Vacancy Announcement – Wildlife/Forestry Specialist
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide technical assistance to and education of individual landowners to solve issues related to human/wildlife conflict or habitat enhancement for wildlife.
• Due to grant funding from the Ohio department of Natural Resources – Division of Wildlife, this position will work with the ODNR-DOW Wildlife Officer to assist in such programs and activities as are agreed upon between the district and ODNR in the grant.
• Plan and conduct tours, field days, technical workshops, public viewing of demonstrations including forestry field days, BMP workshops, logger certification, and wildlife clinics.
• Coordinate overall conservation education programs of the district to Guernsey county adults and youth.
• Work with the DPA to develop communication of district programs through social media.
• Investigate Silviculture House Bill 88 sediment complaints, enter information into SWIMS and report findings to board of supervisors. Follow up with any state agencies as necessary.
• Review Timber Notice of intent (NOI) sites and provide report to board of supervisors. Follow up on site visit to ensure that the plan is being followed.
• Responsible for scheduling repair and maintenance of district vehicles and rental equipment. (i.e. trucks, drill, seeder, winch, trailers)
• Represent the District at meetings of local, state and federal agencies and organizations as directed.
• Attend monthly board meetings and/or other meetings as designated by the DPA and /or Board of Supervisors.
• Keep abreast of all federal, state, and local laws that affect the conservation work within the district.
• Prepare and maintain all records, reports, and forms as required. This includes the computerized payroll and data collection system, currently known as SWIMS.
• Must comply with all of the district’s policies (i.e. Employment Policy, this position description)
• Must demonstrate regular and predictable attendance.
• Perform all other duties as assigned by the DPA or board of supervisors.
• Minimum 2 year degree in wildlife, forestry, or natural resources management or related field.
• Experience with presenting educational programs to both adult and youth audiences.
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form; exercise sound judgment; use time and organizational skills wisely; be groomed and dressed appropriately as to reflect well on the Guernsey SWCD; cooperate with co-workers; receive and implement instructions from DPA and board of supervisors; communicate and work well with landowners without discrimination.
• Ability to operate field equipment (survey equipment, water quality monitoring equipment, GPS data collector, digital camera, etc.) with guidance and training.
• Familiarity with popular computer software (including, but not limited to, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and willingness to learn new applications.
• Must be insurable for government vehicle operation and have a valid Ohio driver’s license.
• Ability to pass a background check in order to use county and federal computer system.
• Occasionally performs duties during inclement weather.
• Required to lift and carry necessary equipment; walk over uneven, steep ground; cross fences.
• Required to transport district rental equipment using district vehicles.
• Required to work in close proximity to construction equipment while in operation.
• Required to attend evening and weekend meetings on occasion within and outside the county.
A formal performance review will be conducted annually by the DPA. During this review, salary advancement and items concerning the employee’s professional growth and employment are discussed. At this time, a set of goals for the coming year which meet with the goals of the district will be discussed and agreed upon.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience, qualifications and available funding. Salary range will be from $22,880 - $29,120. Employee will be under the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System and will be eligible for vacation, sick leave, and the County health insurance benefits.
Anyone interested in the position should submit a resume (with at least three references) to the Guernsey SWCD along with a cover letter to the SWCD’s address listed at the top of this job description by August 9, 2013. Applications may be faxed, mailed, or emailed.